All students must possess a Motorcycle Learner’s Permit to attend the Basic Motorcycle Class, Scooter Training, or onsite license testing.
How do I get an Illinois Motorcycle Learner's Permit?You will need to take a written test at a Secretary of State facility. The test is 15 questions long, and you will need to get at least 80% correct (12 correct answers) in order to pass. The cost for this test is $10 and you will need to make an appointment in order to take the test. Not all facilities offer this test, see below for participating facilities.
What do I need to study for the Illinois Motorcycle Written Test?The study manual is available here or you can pick up a copy at any Secretary of State facility.
Illinois Motorcycle Written Test Practice QuestionsThere are also some practice tests and sample questions online. Remember, these are just practice tests and are not the actual test you will take. Make sure you know all of the material in the Operator Manual, any of that information can be used in the actual written test.
- Illinois Permit Practice Test by ePermitTest
- Illinois Motorcycle Permit Practice Test by DMVCheatSheets.com
- Illinois Motorcycle Permit Practice Test by DMV Permit Test
- Illinois Motorcycle Permit Practice Test by DMV Written Test
- Illinois Motorcycle Permit Practice Test 1 by Motorcycle Practice Test
- Illinois Motorcycle Permit Practice Test 2 by Motorcycle Practice Test
- Illinois Motorcycle Permit Practice Test 3 by Motorcycle Practice Test
- Illinois Motorcycle Permit Practice Test 4 by Motorcycle Practice Test
- Illinois DMV Motorcycle Practice Test by Motorcycle license test
- Illinois DMV Motorcycle Written Test 2023 (60 Questions with Explained Answers) by DMV Advantage
How do I make an appointment?You can make an appointment online for the written test here. New appointment slots are added every morning, so try again tomorrow if you don't see any available appointments for your closest facility. This is a list of available appointments at all Illinois Secretary of State facilities, and includes locations that do NOT offer the motorcycle written test. See the list of participating facilities below.
Or you can call and make an appointment over the phone at 844-817-4649
Where do I take the Motorcycle Written Test?You will need to take this test at a Secretary of State facility. Ride Chicago does not administer this test at any of our locations.
- Go to the Secretary of State Facility Finder
- Type in your zip code and click search
- Click 'Drivers License' to the right of the map
- Check the box for 'Motorcycle Written Test'
- This will filter down the list of locations to those that offer the written test.
As of March 2023, the following Secretary of State Facilities offer the written test:
- Chicago North, 5401 N. Elston Ave, Chicago, IL 60630 | Map
- Chicago Central, 160 N. LaSalle, Chicago, IL 60606 | Map
- Chicago West, 5301 W. Lexington St, Chicago, IL 60644 | Map
- Chicago South, 9901 S. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr, Chicago, IL 60628 | Map
Already have your motorcycle permit?Come ride with us!
Find A Class Now